Wednesday 13 April 2011

Word of the week: MISS

Miss means
*to fail to see:
"Perhaps I'm missing the point"
*to fail to catch
"I missed the train so I had to get a later one".
*to fail to attend
"I missed the English lesson"
*to feel or suffer from the lack of something
"I miss my friends from home".

We often use it with transport, appointments and opportunities.

Be careful!
We don't say:
He misses concentration >>> we say: He lacks concentration 
I miss the skills needed for the job >>> we say: I lack the skills needed for the job

Lack is used to say that someone or something hasn't got something.

Be careful! 
We don't say:
He lost the train >>> we say: He missed the train

Lose means not to have any more and we use it with money or objects
I lost my wallet.
The company lost lots of money in the merger.





No comments: