Wednesday 19 January 2011

How to: Ask for something in English

Here are some tips for asking for something in English - how to be polite and how to be more direct

Listen and Read

1. Polite
  • I'd like to   >  Hello. I'd like to speak to Ms Hilton please. 
  • Would you mind + ING   >  Would you mind sending me a copy of the report?
  • I'd be grateful if you could  >  I'd be grateful if you could send me a copy. 

2. Direct
  • I'd like YOU to  >  I'd like you to pay by Friday.
  • We expect you to  >  We expect you to launch the project by June. 
  • Can you  >  Can you give me a call?

Tips

When asking for something, be careful with your pronunciation and intonation.

Polite  >   your voice should go up (high intonation)
Direct/demanding  > Your voice should go down (lower intonation)

TRY:
How would you ask for the following in English?
A) A return ticket to London
B) You received a wrong order from a supplier. You need them to change it.
C) Your colleague keeps forgetting to email you the project plan.
D) Your supplier is late (again).






No comments: