Wednesday 17 July 2013

Useful Expressions for Telephoning - Conversation Class 17/7/2013

Conversation Club
martedi' sera
Via dei serragli, 79/r

Hi guys,
Good class yesterday!

Here below you can find useful expressions for dealing with phone calls:

Introducing yourself. Phrases to use when you place the call.
When calling a general number:
- May I speak with Marina Smith?
- Hello, this is John Block calling for Marina Smith.
- Is Marina Smith in? (informal)
When the person answers the call directly:
- Hi Marina, it’s John calling.
- Good afternoon, Marina. This is John Block from ABC company calling.

Answering the phone.There are many different ways to answer your phone.
For calls to your direct line:
- Good morning, this is Marina.
- Good afternoon, XYZ firm. How may I help you?
- Marina speaking.
- XYZ firm, Marina speaking.
For calls to your direct line, when the person asks for you by name:
- Speaking (caller says: “Is Marina there?” and Marina replies: “speaking”).
- This is she / this is he (caller says: “Is Marina in?” and Marina replies “This is she”).
For calls to a general number:
- Thank you for calling XYZ. How may I direct your call?

Connecting someone. When you answer the phone and it is for somebody else.
- One minute, I’ll transfer you now.
- Please hold and I’ll put you through.
- Let me see if Jim is available.
- One moment, please.
- Hang on a minute. (informal)

When you need to put somebody on hold
- Jim is on another line at the moment. Would you like to hold?
- I’m sorry, I have a call on my other line. Can you please hold?

When you don’t understand the caller
- Could you please repeat/rephrase that?
- I’m sorry, I didn’t catch what you just said.
- Can you please speak a little more slowly?
- Can you please speak a little louder?

Clarifying what your caller says
- Can you please spell that for me?
- How do you spell your last name?
- And that company name again was, JAQ Industries?
- Let me repeat your information to make sure I got it right.

Ending a conversation
- It’s been great talking with you. I’ve got a meeting now so I better run.
- Thanks for calling. I’ll speak with you again soon.
- I’ve got another call coming in. Good talking to you.
- I better let you go.
- It’s 5 o’clock already. I better let you go.
- Let’s touch base on this again in a few days.
- Nice to speak to you, let’s speak again soon

1 comment:

Idiomatic Jane said...

this big list is highly appreciated, perfect for the people like me who use telephone too much. great collection.