Wednesday 26 January 2011

How to: Write a Formal email

Here are some examples of the kind of situation where you may need to write a formal email in English:


  • Requesting information from a new client
  • Apologising for a delay in delivery to a customer
  • Complaining to a supplier about a mistake in the order
  • Contacting a new contact for the first time
  • Asking for information from an official website


Formal emails have a number of features which are not present in informal or more friendly emails. Here are some points to keep in mind:*
1. More formal vocabulary
compare: I am afraid we have fallen behind schedule. <> I'm sorry we're a bit late.
2. Use fewer phrasal verbs
compare: If any problems arise... <>  If any problems come up...
3. Verbs are not normally contracted
compare: I am writing to inform you that... <> I'm writing to tell you that...
4. The passive tense is common
compare: The report will be sent next week. <> I'll send it next week. 


Here are some useful phrases: 
Formal                                                                                                   
I look forward to hearing from you... (informal) Please get in touch ...
I find it most unsatisfactory ... (informal) I'm not happy ...
Thank you for your email regarding .... (informal) Thanks for the email about...
I would be grateful if you could ... (informal) Please...     
I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. (informal) I'm sorry for any problems.
The order was dispatched ... (informal) We sent your order...
I'm writing to draw your attention to... (informal) I'm writing to let you know...
I regret to inform you ... (informal) I'm sorry to tell you ...              



No comments: