Thursday 13 January 2011

How to: write emails to a new contact


Writing an email to a business contact for the first time can be a bit tricky*, especially if you have never met this person. Here are a few set phrases and tips to help you out:
1. Dear Mr.... / Ms......
  • Use Dear Mr .../Ms... the first time you communicate with them. (It’s more polite than “Hi ...” or “Hey...”)
  • Or you can use their full name: Dear Mike Tyson / Dear Carla Bruni
  • Don’t use titles with a person’s full name: Dear Mr Mike Tyson 

2. Introductory remarks
  • My name is Derek Zoolander and I’m contacting you about....
  • I have been given your name by a friend of mine, Niles Crane. 
  • Thank you for sending me...
  • It was good to meet you at the trade fair last week.

3. Explain why you are writing
  • I’m writing to ask you ... (if you’ll be able to attend the conference next week)
  • With reference to.... (the recruitment meeting on Monday the 26th).
  • Further to our phone conversation ....
  • You may remember....
  • This is just to .... (check we’re on for the 18th).
  • I just wanted to ... (show you the designs).

4. Action
  • I’d like to arrange... (a meeting to outline the new project).
  • I’d be grateful if you could... (send me the presentation).
  • Would you be able to... 
  • Please let me know...
  • Can you ... (talk to Lisa about it?)
  • Would you mind ....(giving a short talk?)

5. Friendly sign off
  • Thank you again for your help.
  • I hope to hear from you soon.
  • I look forward to hearing from you.
  • Many thanks in advance for your help.

    tricky* = difficult


    2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Love this site..

    KerinG said...

    Thanks for your comment - I'm happy that you find it useful! :)