Tuesday 30 August 2011

Word of the week: Interested (or interesting)?

Do you sometimes confuse interestED with interestING? BorED with BorING? TirED with TirING?

Don't worry! A lot of people have difficulty with this this. First of all I should point out that these words are adjectives. The ED ending confuses some people because they think it is a past tense. And the ING ending looks like the continuous tense - no! Nothing to do with time. They are adjectives I promise.

Very simply:
ING adjectives are used to describe things:
The film was boring. 
The evening was really interesting.
I think the teacher is a bit annoying.

ED adjectives are used to describe our feelings:
I was bored (because I found the film boring).
I am interested in music.
I was annoyed because the train was late.

TEST:
Are these right or wrong?
1. The film was so confused I didn't understand anything.
2. I am very worried about the exam tomorrow.
3. He was embarrassed by the embarrassing situation.




No comments: