Monday 7 February 2011

3 common errors that make you look thick!


Well, maybe not thick (tonto!) exactly, but it got your attention right? Here are some common errors to avoid: 
1. live vs. leave
“I leave in London.”  
Umm I don’t think you do! You live in London. You leave your house at 8.30 to go to work.
LIVE - (vivere)
LEAVE - (partire / lasciare)
2. pretend vs. demand, want, expect
“My boss pretends too much from me.” 
Umm...what?! Maybe your boss pretends to be nasty, but deep down inside he’s all lovely jubbly ... but he doesn’t pretend anything from you.
FINGERE = pretend
PRETENDERE = want, demand, expect
“My boss expects/demands too much from me.”
3. The Responsible!

“Ms Monroe is the responsible for the marketing.”
We don’t use ‘responsible’ as a noun. You can say:
‘Ms Monroe is responsible for marketing’ or ‘Ms Monroe is the marketing manager’. 

(This post is dedicated to my Italian friends!) 




No comments: